Attractions in the Four County Area
Bibb County Lake
11147 Walter Owens Parkway, West Blocton, AL
Bibb County Lake is a 100-acre lake located 5 miles north of Centreville off Alabama Highway 5. Visit the website for more information. Contact the Lake Manager for the most current operating times and days.
Telephone: (205) 938-2124.
Brierfield Ironworks Historical Park
240 Furnace Parkway, Brierfield, AL
The park is dedicated to the Bibb County iron ruins that propelled Alabama into the ranks of one of the top iron producers in the world. Over four hundred of these ovens were built in the 1880s to heat coal into coke, an essential ingredient in iron production. The coke was transported by rail for use in the furnaces and foundries in the Bessemer, Birmingham and Anniston areas. The quality of iron coming from this Alabama ironworks so impressed the confederate government at Richmond that they purchased the works. Destroyed once by the Federal Tenth Missouri Cavalry, they were resurrected only to be destroyed again by new iron making technologies introduced in Birmingham.
Admission: Adults & children $2, Seniors $1; 5 & under free
Telephone: (205) 665-1856
Cahaba River Wildlife Refuge
Located approximately six miles east of West Blocton on County Road 24.
Established in 2002, the Cahaba River National Wildlife Refuge helps to protect the biological heart of the Cahaba River. Thirteen federally threatened or endangered species occur within the refuge boundaries. Over 20,000 people visit the refuge annually to enjoy fishing, hunting, wildlife observation and other compatible wildlife dependent activities. Most visitors come during the mid-May to mid-June period to see the flowering of the Cahaba lily (Hymenocallis coronaria). The Refuge contains a vehicle accessible road along the river and a parking area with access to trails and river access.
Coke Ovens Park, West Blocton, AL
Four batteries of historic coke ovens once used to produce large coal blocks for iron and steel foundries in Jefferson Co. West Blocton Historic Beehive Coke Ovens propelled Alabama into the ranks of one of the top iron producers in the world. Over four hundred of these ovens were built in the 1880s to heat coal into coke, an essential ingredient in iron production. The coke was transported by rail for use in the furnaces and foundries in the Bessemer, Birmingham and Anniston areas. Visit the website for a complete chronological history of significant events for the West Blocton Historic Beehive Coke Ovens.
Golden Club Arum Colony
Follow Hwy 14 E. to Hwy 183 E for six miles after crossing Cahaba River. This is believed to be on of the largest colonies of Golden Club Arum in North America. May be viewed at any time but blooming period is April.
Holiday Race Way
Highway 5 & 11 near Exit 97, Woodstock, AL
Raceway opens every Saturday night during race season. Three bracket classes in Pro-Bracket Foot brake, and four brackets in Jr. Dragster.
Admission: $5 on Thursday/$10 on Saturday, Special Events $15 and up
The amenities at Payne Lake make a perfect base of operations for exploring the lower Cahaba. Primitive and RV camping, swimming, biking and hiking opportunities are tucked conveniently away in the heart of the Talladega National Forest. The Payne Lake campground hugs the picturesque lakeshore, offering a tranquil setting, hookups, boating, swimming and bank fishing. The campground also offers a pleasant 1.5-mile trail and two sandy beaches. Rate: $16 per day - electric and water hookups; $10 per day - water hookups; $6 per day - no hookups; Maximum Stay Permitted (days): 14.
Talladega National Forest
(Oakmulgee Division Ranger Office)
9901 Highway 5, Brent, AL
Talladega National Forest, Oakmulgee Division provides access to the outdoors as few ever get to experience it. Miles of backwood roads await the hunter, camper, hiker, naturalist and
horseback rider. Hosts the Prothonotory Warbler and the state’s largest population of Red-Cockaded Woodpeckers. The Forest is considered a destination for both large and small game hunting. Hunting activity is often prevalent during the fall and spring. The Forest is closed to ATV use except for those licensed for highway use or under a Special Use Permit Location for site specific information for outdoor activities in the Forest.
Hours: 8 am to 4 pm – Monday - Friday
Telephone: (205) 926-9765
Tannehill Ironworks Historical Park
12632 Confederate Parkway, McCalla, AL
Tannehill Ironworks Historical State Park has more than 1,500 acres in three counties set aside for hiking, camping and outdoor recreation. A miniature railroad chugs through the pines. From spring through fall, the blacksmith, miller and craftsmen demonstrate their trades. Craft shops occupy restored pioneer cabins and artisans chat with visitors from their front porches. Steeped in history, Tannehill feels timeless. The cotton gin, pioneer farm and working gristmill preserve a long-gone way of life. Hiking trails retrace historic roadways. Artifacts of Alabama’s 19th century iron industry displayed in the Iron and Steel Museum put in perspective the massive stone furnaces, Tannehill’s awe-inspiring centerpiece. It is difficult to take in all of Tannehill in one visit. Come again and come often to enjoy the special appeal of each season. Campground accommodations, both primitive and improved, are plentiful. Horseback riding excursions are available at Tannehill Trails.
Telephone: (205) 477-5711
Uptown Centreville Historic Square
Highway 25, Centreville, AL
Beautiful buildings line the late nineteenth century square and overlooks the Cahaba River.
Shopping, dining, and strolling the streets are offered on the square.
National Voting Rights Museum
The Museum is located near the foot of the Edmund Pettus Bridge and is an exceptional record of events and stories of participants that made Civil Rights history. Experience the history then stroll up Historic Water Avenue for a walk across the bridge that has become a symbol of monumental changes in civil and voting rights in America.
Seeking adventure? Then you can’t miss the ruins of the Old Cahawba…explore the ghostly ruins of Alabama’s abandoned first capital city and its tragic Civil War prison. Old Cahawba is an archaeological park but also a gateway to natural wonders like rare wildflowers in the Black Belt prairie and leisurely canoeing on the lower Cahaba River. www.cahawba.com
Old Depot Museum
Artifacts from pre-history Indian days through the Voting Rights era are showcased in this interesting interpretive history museum. Visit the Civil War room, Black Heritage wing, and military room (pre WWI – Persian Gulf). See the Victorian firehouse and antique rail cars on display – 4 Martin Luther King Street – (334) 874-2197.
Selma Historical District
The Selma Historical District is a jewel in the Black Belt; sits on a bluff high above the rolling waters of the Alabama River is Selma, and home to more than 1,200 historic structures. There are century-old buildings that warehoused cotton and Civil War munitions, and nearby, the ghostly remains of the state’s first permanent capital, Cahawba. The prairielands that enriched the early generations of cotton growing Alabamians are filled with exquisite mansions still standing after the burning of the town during the Civil War. The city proudly promotes the struggle for voting rights that took place in the 1960s. www.selmaalabama.com
This 1863 10-room museum mansion is considered on of the finest Greek Revival Neo-Classical antebellum structures in the Southeast. Visit the gift shop and formal garden. Also visit the White-Force Cottage next door, home of Clem White and his wife, Martha. Ms. White was Mary Todd Lincoln’s half sister. 713 Mabry Street.
This museum building has served many purposes since 1847--Confederate hospital, county courthouse, Presbyterian school and modern-day Vaughan Hospital. It houses treasures from the Wilby Theatre, Civil War munitions, hospital memorabilia, military uniforms and railroad exhibits. It is the headquarters for Selma’s Historic Pilgrimage and Antique Show and Sale held annually. 109 Union Street. 334-874-2174.
Auburn Rural Studio
Headquarters for Rural Studio Architectural Designs in Alabama’s Black Belt.
No admission charged
Telephone: (334) 624-4483
Havana UMC Cemetery
Highway 69, Havana, AL
The grave of Julia Tutwiler, President of Livingston Normal, educator, advocate for prison reform, and author of Alabama’s state song, is located in the cemetery of this historic church erected in 1842.
Jennings Ferry Campground
Located on a point between Black and Clear Creeks of the Warrior River
Campground with 52 sites fully accessible and equipped. See website for admission and camping fees.
1002 Main Street, Greensboro, AL
Boyhood home of Spanish American War Hero Rear Admiral Richard Pearson Hobson
Hours Tuesday - Friday, 1st and 3rd Saturday 10 am - 4 pm; Sunday grounds only, 1 pm – 4 pm. Admission: Adult $5, College $4, Grade 12 & under free
Telephone: (334) 624-8618
Moundville Archaeological State Park
Highway 69, Moundville, AL
Preserve for 28 prehistoric Mississippian mounds, Archaeological Museum, Campgrounds.
Hours: 8:00 am – 8:00 pm
Admission: .Adults $5; Students $3; Children under 3 Free
Telephone: (205) 371-2234
Safe House Museum
2401 Davis Street, Greensboro, AL
Houses information and photos on Black Heritage & Civil Rights Movement.
Hours: Friday 10 am - 3 pm and by appointment
Admission: Donations accepted
Telephone: (334) 624-2030
Perry County Cell Phone Tour
Provides detailed information on Historic Perry County attractions.
Telephone: (334) 526-3061 – call for ticket
The Alabama Aquatic Biodiversity Center
The Alabama Aquatic Biodiversity Center (AABC) is the largest state non-game recovery program of its kind in the United States. The mission of AABC is to promote the conservation and restoration of rare freshwater species in Alabama waters and in turn, restore cleaner water in Alabama's waterways.
Alabama is known to have the greatest number of freshwater species of mollusks and fish in the United States. However over the past 80 years, Alabama has lost over 67 species of these mollusks and fish to extinction. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service have listed more than 54 species as threatened or endangered in Alabama's waters. AABC will help to restore threatened or endangered species of mollusks and fish through propagation and restoration. By restoring and conserving these species, we can help aid in clean water efforts in Alabama's waterways. The facilities at the Center include three aquatic culture buildings with over 7,500 square feet of space under roof, a 4,300-square-foot administration building with office and laboratory space, and approximately 30 surface acres of aquatic culture ponds.
Antioch Baptist Church
Located on the Perry and Hale County line on Perry County Road 193 which turns left off of Perry County Road 29 north of Marion. Award winning Auburn Rural Studio Structure created from dismantled Antioch Baptist Church. Outside may be viewed at any time.
Coretta Scott King Memorial
Located on County Road 29 12 miles north of Marion. Mt. Tabor Methodist Church, the childhood church of Mrs. King hosts the memorial and sculpture of Mrs. King on the church grounds. Next door is the store and home that belonged to Coretta’s father, Mr. Scott. May be viewed at any time. No admission.
Donavan Lakes Fishing Club and Inn
Donovan Lakes Fishing Club is a public membership fishing club and Inn and is available for rent to all interested persons. Lakes are stocked with Tiger Bass and Threadfin Shad, Golden Shiners; Gizzard Shad. The Club is located on Perry County Road 38 (four miles south of Marion on Highway 45; take Perry County 38 west for one mile; Donavan Club sign and gate on the right). Or, if traveling on State Highway 5, go six miles south of Marion and take Perry County 38 east for 2.1 miles; Club sign and gate will be on the left.
Downtown Historic District
Washington Street, Marion, AL
One of four historic districts in Marion. Includes 1858 courthouse and library for genealogy research, restaurants, and a variety of shops. Open daily except for holidays.
Judson College and Alabama Women’s Hall of Fame
303 Bibb Street, Marion, AL
Judson College, established in 1838, is Alabama’s women’s college and Alabama Women’s Hall of Fame. Anchor of Judson College Historic District with five historic structures. Alabama Women’s Hall of Fame, honoring significant Alabama women, is located in old Carnegie Building.
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 am-4:30 pm except holidays.
Telephone (334) 683-5100
Lincoln Normal Memorial Museum
Lee Street, Marion, AL
Established in 1867 by former slaves. Noted graduates include Jean Young & Coretta King.
Museum exhibits memorabilia of school and its graduates.
Marion Military Institute and Alabama Military Hall of Honor
1101 Washington Street, Marion, AL
MMI, established in 1842, former home of Howard (Samford University) is anchor for the West Marion Historic District. Includes many historic buildings, including old City Hall which houses The Alabama Military Hall of Honor, honoring Alabama military heroes.
Hours: MMI open daily except for holidays.
Alabama Military Hall of Honor open by reservation.
Telephone: (334) 683.2307
Perry Lakes Park and Cahaba River Reserve
5 miles east of Marion on Highway 175
Perry Lakes and Barton’s Beach - The restless Cahaba changed its course 150 years ago and left these four oxbow lakes and the incredibly diverse ecology around it. Experience the 100-foot birding tower, tupelo and cypress swamps, and the sandy swales of The Nature Conservancy’s Barton’s Beach on the Cahaba River. The Perry Lakes Park (Recreational Area) project is a restoration and expansion of a park constructed in 1935 by the Civilian Conservation Corps. The Park is located five miles east of Marion, near the State Fish Hatchery on State Highway 175. Perry Lakes Park is positioned between the Marion State Fish Hatchery and the Barton's Beach Cahaba River Preserve. The Park area was leased (20 yrs. beginning in 1999) from the Ala Department o f Conservation. Includes hiking, birding and birding tower, picnic facilities & Cahaba River Reserve Four Oxbow lakes, Cahaba River, Barton’s Beach, six Auburn Rural Studio structures.
Open sun-up to sun-down
Sturdivant Farm House (Donavin Inn)
Sturdivant Farm (home of Donavan lakes) is a working hay farm and cattle ranch. Over 1,000 acres including lakes, swamps, woods, pasture, trails and creeks are available to members (1890) has been remodeled and restored. New living quarters have been built as an add-on to the rear of the old house. This farm house is known locally as the Sturdivant Farm House. It was built about 1880 on the King Plantation. The Sturdivants were the last occupants of the house. This farm house was restored and is named the Donavan Inn. The Inn is available for rent to members and to the general public. http://donavaninn.com/
Plantation established by the Moore family in the 1800’s and currently owned by Moore descendants. Original buildings remain. Tours for groups available by reservation. Open first weekend in October for FALL IN FOLSOM. For reservations, call 334-683-6869 or visit www.holmesteadcompany.com